Mid-18th century South India. Puli Thevar and Yusuf Khan, the two foremost warriors of their time, found themselves on opposite sides. The former fought the East India Company; the latter fought for the English. Many freedom fighters followed Puli Thevar’s wake, but he is the best known of the early South Indian Polygar kings who took on the English. Sadly, Yusuf Khan’s fame, some say notoriety, overshadowed Puli Thevar’s achievements. (Scroll down – read more)
Order Puli Thevar from Amazon @ US$ 2.99 only.
Paperback also available from Amazon.
In subsequent years, Yusuf Khan – born Marudhanayagam but embraced Islam and adopted the name Yusuf Khan – rebelled against his English masters. But as he had fought and subdued several Tamil kings and committed various brutalities while in English service, many people in present day Tamil Nadu continue to view him as a traitor. But others see him as a patriot who turned against the English.
So intense are the emotions that when Kamal Haasan, a famous Tamil movie star and politician, tried to produce a film based on Yusuf Khan – titled after his Hindu name, Marudhanayagam – he encountered a groundswell of opposition that stalled the project. A segment of the population did not welcome the storyline, which portrayed Marudhanayagam in a positive light. Yusuf Khan a.k.a. Marudhanayagam remains a controversial character.
But one fact remains unassailable. Puli Thevar was the only Polygar king who defeated Yusuf Khan in battle. How did they meet? What transpired between the two stalwarts? How did Puli Thevar defeat Yusuf Khan, whom even the English spoke of in the same breath as Robert Clive of India? The novel gives a peek.
Click on book image above. Read what happens when Puli Thevar meets Yusuf Khan.
- India before the British Raj
- Colonel Heron & Yusuf Khan
- Puli Thevar the Tiger Killer
- The English Ravage the Polygar Country
- Heron’s Assault on Nel-Kattan-Seval
- Nattam Pass
- The Battle of Nattam Pass
- Travancore Alliance
- Rout in Kala-Kaadu
- Winners and Losers of Kala-Kaadu
- Puli Thevar brings the fight to the Nawab
- Senchorru-kadan, Blood Debt
- The Battle for Srivillee-Puthur
- A Bitter Victory in Srivillee-Puthur
- Betrayal and Brutality
- Yusuf Khan enters the Fray
- Yusuf Khan Besmirched
- Battle for Tinnevelly
- Administering Tinnevelly
- Puli Thevar meets Yusuf Khan
- Guerrilla War
- Bloody Nose for the Company
- The Fall of Palamkottai
- Maharajan Karthika Thirunal
- Yusuf Khan sent South again
- Friends and Foes
- Battle for Vasudeva-Nellore
- Puli Thevar defeats Yusuf Khan
- Betrayal and Arrest
- The Last Days of Puli Thevar
Click on the image and download from Amazon
OR, scan the QR Code with your smart phone